Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Hurry up, Spring!

So, after battling through December and most of January trying to keep the cold out and the heat in, I think we have something that works.  The solar pool cover and bubble wrap seems to be working a little, and my honey got a thermostat for the heater so I don't have to keep running out to the greenhouse to turn the heater on / up, off/down.  Its hard to say if it is working yet, since we just got the electric bill for December, but that includes the Christmas lights / decorations we were running, too.   I'm hoping we don't have another $300 plus electric bill, or I'll lose my mind!

In the meantime, the orchids just keep chugging along.  Since its cooler weather, most of them are not in active growth, but a few of the Phals are spiking, the Twinkles are finishing up, my Noid Oncidium is putting up another spike, and the Latouria Dendrobiums that I have are beginning to open.

 Dendrobium Bruce Gordon

Cymbidium Magic Flora 'Red Falls'

Bc. Yellow Bird - I took pictures of this one a couple of days apart to show the color changes.  It will eventually turn canary yellow, and I'll post pictures of that when it gets there.

This is a new one that I picked up at my orchid society meeting.  Its a Dialaelia Mizoguchi 'Princess Kiko'


There are three spikes on that one, and they are about 2 feet long each!  15-17 buds, and they are in the process of opening now.  I'll post another pic when its all open.

So, that's it for now, I'm at work and should probably get back to it.  LOL!!

I'll post again soon, so until then Happy Growing!

1 comment:

  1. come on Brigitte, how are those plants going? I'm dieing to know!!!!

    ReplyDelete