Sunday, September 30, 2012

My greenhouse is finally up and running, and I finally have most of the orchids moved in.  There is going to be a period of  moving around, I'm sure, but for now they seem to be happy. 

Moving day - everyone almost in


I have a couple blooming inside right now, the Phal. bellina, which is making the greenhouse smell awesome, the Onc. charlesworthii is still going, and the Stenoglottis Venus is opening bud by bud.  Its a cutie for sure.

Phalaenopsis bellina

Onc. charlesworthii


Stenoglottis Venus


Haraella retrocalla



I have a couple that are spiking and are ready to bloom, first is the Bulbophyllum Elizabeth Ann 'Buckleberry', which I purchased last year.  There's only one spike, and one bloom that will come from it, but I'm excited nonetheless.  This is one I "had to have", and I'm glad that I was able to provide the conditions it needed to bloom.

There is also a Cattleya that has a bud on it, the Blc. Mari's Melody 'Carmela'.  I also got this one last summer in bud.  I don't know what I did wrong, but it only has one bud on it, but I'll take it.  Its really pretty and has a great fragrance.

I also have a Bulbophyllum longissimum with a spike starting, but it'll be a while before it's ready.

I'm in the process of getting my shadecloth now.  I've decided to go with the Aluminet at 50%.  Some of the 'chids need more light, and the 50% seems about right for here in So Cal.  Since the greenhouse is situated in such a way that the South end is in shade for winter, I won't have to worry about extra shadecloth for the Phals, Paphs and Bulbos for now, but I think I need to get a good light meter... 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brigitte, so nice to see all those photos, i just love them and your blog is a pleasure to read, i'd like to add your blog to my sidebar so i'm going to do that if it's ok with you, be sure to keep your blog updated for me :) hehehe

    as for the bulbos coming into bloom they are two of my favourites, did you know that longissimum is one of the Elizabeth Ann parents?

    and i'm loving the greenhouse, well i better get back to work, i look forward to future posts

    ReplyDelete